Johnny Erain and Perch Perkins announces on the news that a sled race is occurring in Bikini Bottom with the prize being one million dollars and that all of Bikini Bottom has entered. Patrick says that he hopes he wins but only has gummy worms that lead his sled. Mr. Krabs, Plankton, Squidward, SpongeBob, and Sandy also prepare for the race. However, Plankton sneaks off just before the race begins to the Krusty Krab and uses a robot as his replacement in the race. Patrick soon catches up to SpongeBob and he agrees to let Patrick come along, much to Gary's dismay. Meanwhile, at the Krusty Krab, Plankton has trouble opening the safe of the Secret Formula. Back in the race, Sandy's sled crashes and Squidward's worm stops racing, Squidward gets angry and goes on foot, only to fall through the ice and freeze, he is soon discovered by SpongeBob and Patrick, who take him along with them. Shortly after, they find Sandy in a pile of snow, they bring her along too. Mr. Krabs' worms become hungry, and they get mad and chase Mr. Krabs, SpongeBob lets Mr. Krabs come along as well. The worms chase SpongeBob and the gang, and Gary has trouble pulling all of them. They are cornered at a dead end and Gary roars like a lion to scare the worms away. The gang decides to stop there and make a fire, Squidward thaws, just before encountering The Abominable Snow Mollusk who tries to attack the group, Squidward runs away and jumps into a cold body of water which freezes him again. The group (minus Squidward) continue the race and realize that they forgot Squidward soon after. They go after him and save him from the Snow Mollusk with the help of Patrick's last gummy worm. They continue on and Sandy realizes that Mr. Krabs has betrayed the group and gone off on his own so he could win the prize himself, but got stung by a jellyfish that went into his mouth in the process.
Patrick then points out that he "saw something shiny" and SpongeBob notices that it is Karen. They also discover robot Plankton who is buried in the snow, and Karen explains that the whole race was a plot for him to steal from the Krusty Krab. SpongeBob and the group turn around to go back to Bikini Bottom. Gary is unable to go any further. Back at the Krusty Krab, the real Plankton fails to break open the Secret Formula safe yet again. Frustrated, Plankton proceeds to rip an "atom" in half which causes a nuclear explosion, destroying the Krusty Krab and opening the safe. Meanwhile, SpongeBob pulls the sled until all of them freeze but Sandy. Sandy saves their lives by starting a fire with parts from the sled. Sandy figures out how to use the members of the group as a substitute sled. They return to Bikini Bottom to see that the Krusty Krab has been destroyed and Plankton has stolen the formula. However, he cannot get the bottle open, The group finds Plankton trying to open it. An angered Karen zaps Plankton. Plankton pretends to surrender and uses a pen to fly away. The group chases Plankton into a net trap that Plankton trapped them in. However, the Snow Mollusk returns and eats Patrick's Jelly Beans, then hugs the little pink sea star. Plankton escapes, but the Snow Mollusk mistakes him for a jelly bean and eats him, returning the formula to Mr. Krabs. The episode ends as Plankton waits to be digested.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob's Frozen Face Off
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 8th Season
- The production name for this episode was "The Great Sleigh Race", as seen on some of the original character storyboards on Facebook. It may have been possible that they changed the name because it was to similar to "The Great Snail Race".
- When this episode was first advertised, the original plot was that Bikini Bottom became the coldest place on Earth, and SpongeBob and the gang would race for survival. This may have been the original plot when it was first written, but got changed because it felt like the series finale of SpongeBob since they had to find a new home.
- Some people mistake that this episodes title for being the name of Face Freeze!.
- This episode was promoted as SpongeBob's Frozen Face-Off.
- The Realistic Fish Head said that everyone in Bikini Bottom entered, however Fred Rechid didn't and there were people waiting at the Chum Bucket for a Krabby Patty. Maybe it's because they finished the race and realized there were no winnings. It could also be because that he could've been talking figuratively.
- SpongeBob mentions the Campfire Song Song and Squidward reacts annoyed again. This breaks the fourth wall as SpongeBob references a previous episode.
- The title card (and the entire episode) was winter-themed, although this episode premiered in mid-summer in the Northern Hemisphere.
- In Indonesia, One Frozen Wasteland Later was translated to Satu Menit Kemudian (One Minute Later).
- Running Gag: Squidward always runs into frozen water, becoming an icicle.
- One of the fish in line for the Chum Bucket yell at Mr. Krabs, Sandy, Karen, SpongeBob, Gary, Squidward and Patrick when they ambush Plankton: "We've been waiting for Krabby Patties for three stinking days!" - this is a reference to the Orcs in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.
- It says "everyone in Bikini Bottom" is entering, but when Squidward talks to the media, Fred is napping although he lives in Bikini Bottom.
- When Patrick opens the Krabby Patty formula, everyone but Plankton and Patrick, including Karen, yell "Patrick!", though Karen was on Plankton's side and was hoping for him to steal the formula.