"Just One Bite" is the second (now first) segment of the 43rd episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
Squidward expresses his disgust for Krabby Patties despite never having one, SpongeBob insists that he tries one, claiming that they are so popular that "the only people who don’t like a Krabby Patty have never tasted one!". He eventually does and bites only a piece of the patty off. Squidward's opinion of Krabby Patties seem to remain unchanged as he angrily says to SpongeBob that the one he tried was the most "horrible, putrid, poorly prepared, vile, unappetizing, disgusting excuse for a sandwich it has ever been my displeasure to have slither down my throat!" and literally buries the patty. When a dejected SpongeBob leaves, Squidward desperately digs up the patty and eats the remains when he in fact likes them. He wants to have more but after already stating that he hates Krabby Patties to SpongeBob, Squidward then forces himself to sneak for one without him knowing. Squidward tries to have another Krabby Patty by stating an "order" to SpongeBob for a Triple Krabby Patty Supreme on a kelp bun, with extra sea pickle and burnt to the crisp. After making it, SpongeBob wants to give it to the customer scense he never gets to make that kind of patty much. When realizing he/she left he eats it (unaware that it was for Squidward himself).
Squidward then notices a half-eaten Krabby Patty on a trash can. Taking this as an opportunity, he munches the garbage and not the patty itself. He spits out the garbage and before he can eat it, SpongeBob sadly burns it, once again ruining his chance to have another Krabby Patty. After having a dream of a giant Krabby Patty as his own wife, a determined Squidward continues to try to eat another patty by coming back to the Krusty Krab in the middle of the night. But he sees a bucket of liquid. He thinks its water, but it is gasoline. A robot hand drops a match, then he gets burnt. He thinks his pain is over, but another bucket of gas falls out of nowhere. He then gasps at the "Patty Vault". (Only in deleted scene). He then enters the "Patty Vault", where legions of ready-made Krabby Patties are. Before he can finally have another, SpongeBob enters and says to Squidward that he always comes to work at 3 a.m. when he counts the Sesame seeds.
SpongeBob is confused why Squidward is in the Krusty Krab in early hours, why is the Patty Vault open, why is he holding a Krabby Patty behind his back and acting nervous and looking hungry before realizing that he likes Krabby Patties. Once SpongeBob asks Squidward, Squidward openly states that he indeed likes them before wolfing down the patties in the vault. SpongeBob then warns Squidward not to eat too many of them in there as they all go down to his thighs and, as Squidward sarcastically predicted, causes him to subsequently explode.
Later, a bodyless Squidward is taken to the hospital in an ambulance and a paramedic who is sitting beside him holding his tentacles jokingly says that he remembers having his first Krabby Patty.
The scene in which Squidward triggers a burglar alarm consisting of a bucket of gasoline which is spilled, lit on fire, and explodes is cut out of later airings of the episode. The reason for the censorship was never officially announced by Nickelodeon. However, the most likely explanation for the removal was the episode aired on October 5, 2001, nearly a month after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. As in the months following the attacks many media outlets began to either cancel, delay, delete, or censor media that contained anything resembling the attacks, terrorism, or violence. Another possible reason could be to prevent children from attempting to use and/or ignite gas. Yet another could simply be the scene was too violent, similar to The Ren & Stimpy Show episodes. This scene would later become an internet meme. On a few airings, the first explosion is aired, but the second explosion is cut. This happens for unknown reasons but it might be because they decided to get rid of the second explosion because if there were more than one, it would resemble the 9/11 terrorist attack. Then they soon decided not to air the first explosion at all beause it was just too violent. The version is included on the Tales from the Deep, The Complete Third Season, and 10 Happiest Moments DVDs include the edited version, but VideoNow versions still have this scene intact. Today, the uncut episode is still mainly aired only Canadian channels, including YTV and Nickelodeon Canada. It is very hard to find the version of the episode with this scene. The version without this scene started airing sometime in 2002. It is weird why it was not deleted in Canada, maybe because there were no 9/11 attacks in Canada, or YTV just hasn't gotten their hands on the edited version.
When the uncut version was aired, "The Bully" aired first and "Just One Bite" second; however, in all showings of the edited version, the order of the two episodes is reversed. This is maybe to make the person watching know which version it is.
The deleted scene is as follows:
- Squidward: There it is, unguarded! All I have to do is... wait. It's too easy. There must be some kind of (liquid drips)... security? This is our burglar alarm? A bucket of water? Ha ha! (kicks the door open, thus spilling the bucket over) That was too easy! (sniffs the liquid) Hey, this isn't water. This is... gas! (A robot arm drops a lit match into the gas, resulting in a huge explosion. Squidward screams and enters the kitchen, but just as he thinks his pain is over, he sets off another burglar alarm. The kitchen bursts into flames for a few seconds. Then he gasps at the sight of the Patty Vault and walks over to it.)
- Squidward: There it is! (cuts to interior of Krusty Krab with camera zooming in through window to the Patty Vault. Squidward approaches it as he did in the original version. The rest of the episode goes normally.)
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Deep Sea Sillies
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Tales from the Deep
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: 10 Happiest Moments
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the trash can, he appears in the style of Guiseppe Arcimboldo, a 16th-century painter famous for his portraits constructed from food items.
- This episode has become very popular with YouTube Poops (edited parody versions of the episode) due to several scenes such as, when Squidward says "Does this look unsure to you?", SpongeBob saying "You like Krabby Patties don't you Squidward?" and when Squidward says "I have no soul.".
- At the scene where Squidward says "Does this look unsure to you?" a hideous picture of his face appears. People have edited it. It has been nicknamed "Skodwarde" or "Unsureward."
- The Krusty Krab could not hold the Patty Vault, since that thing is impossible to be inserted to Krusty Krab through its tiny doors (compared to the vault).
- The first act of the episode, where SpongeBob attempts to make Squidward try a Krabby Patty in different locations, is similar to the popular children's book, Green Eggs and Ham.
- In the Latin American second season DVD box set, "Just One Bite" is replaced with "Frankendoodle" and "The Bully" with "Welcome to the Chum Bucket".
- This is the first episode to show the inside of the Krusty Krab that does not feature Mr. Krabs. In fact, he's never even mentioned.
- All the Krabby Patties in Squidward's thighs look normal-shaped. This implies that Squidward just swallowed them all without chewing them, and the Krabby Patties weren't digested and turned into another shape.
- Patrick appears, but has no dialogue (except for a depressed moan).
- The Triple Krabby Supreme On a Stick is a reference to the Minnesota state fair food.
- The 8th scene of Squidward eating Krabby Patties was similar to the game Pac Man.
- Before the Patty Vault was removed, according to the deleted scene, the Krusty Krab couldn't survive the two explosions, but it would take days or weeks to repair all the damage done. The tables would have burned completely, and everything else would burn, unless SpongeBob counters the explosion by throwing water on the match before it falls on the gas. But still, it would take a long time to clean up the mess of the first 2 explosions.
- It is unknown how Squidward's body got back to normal after his head exploded at the end. It's possible that he recovered in time for the next episode "Squid on Strike", which was aired one week after this episode.
- The face SpongeBob makes when he finds out that Squidward likes Krabby Patties became a trend on deviantART where members would make different characters from different series make exactly the same face.
- Squidward's anger about the Krabby Patty is very similar to Ned Flander's anger from the Simpsons episode, "Hurricane Neddy".
- In Turkish airings, Squidward is seen lying on a strainer instead of disemobied.
- The scene where Squidward says "I have no soul" has become an Internet meme.
- This is the first time Squidward eats garbage by accident. The second will be in Keep Bikini Bottom Beautiful.
- Squidward liking Krabby Patty's may have been evidented in Your Shoe's Untied, when he had Krabby Patties forced into his mouth. He actually chews and swallows them instead of just spitting them out.
- In this episode, SpongeBob said "I always come to work at 3 AM" just like he was in "Graveyard Shift", yet in other episodes, he usually arrives later than 3 AM.
- When Squidward says and no one the lines on his head are gone.
- When SpongeBob tries to get Squidward to take one bite, the Krabby Patty in his hand changes throughout the camera cuts. The lettuce and cheese keep changing places in every place that SpongeBob tries to get Squidward to take a bite. This must've meant that SpongeBob always keeps lots of Krabby Patties in his pocket.
- When Squidward slapped the Krabby Patty out of SpongeBob's hand, SpongeBob should've thrown it away or cremated it because it was on the floor. This must've meant that SpongeBob always cleans the floor before the Krusty Krab opens.
- In the 2011 comic strip Burn It, SpongeBob says he never burnt a Krabby Patty, but in this episode he does.
- In this episode, Squidward says he never had a Krabby Patty and hates them, but he was previously shown eating Krabby Patties in "Your Shoe's Untied", though they may have bypassed his tastebuds and went straight into his gullet.
- In the deleted scene, the second bucket of gas falls from nowhere, and there wasn't any matches to set the gas on fire.
- When SpongeBob handcuffs himself to Squidward, the handcuffs disappear when Squidward takes the Krabby Patty.
- In the deleted scene, after the first explosion, it shows glass in both windows, instead of one.
- At the very beginning when Squidward says "I hate Krabby Patties" the cash register is missing.
- There is no dialogue between the part where SpongeBob says "but it means so much that you came" and the part where Squidward says "Honey".
- In the uncut version, the viewer can't see the Patty Vault through the ordering window. In the edited version, they can.