"Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy III" is the first half of the 31st episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy are going on vacation, and they ask SpongeBob and Patrick to look after the Mermalair. They want to play with the super-gadgets, but are told that they can't. They're wandering around when they find Man Ray, one of Mermaid Man's most feared nemeses, stuck in a prison of frozen tartar sauce. Patrick unleashes him, and they try to teach him how to be good. He has a tickle-belt (as seen in Mermaidman & Barnacleboy Episode 17!), a device that tickles whoever is wearing it when a button is pressed. He pretends he is good, in order to get the belt off.
Goodness Lesson # 1 - "You see someone drop his wallet. What do you do?" Man Ray acts polite, and hands the wallet to Patrick, but he says it's not his wallet. After a few moments, Man Ray gets angry with Patrick, and threatens to rip his arms off if he doesn't take the wallet. As a result, SpongeBob is forced to tickle him.
Goodness Lesson # 2 - "You see someone struggling with a heavy package. What do you do?" Man Ray offers help, but Patrick drops the box on Man Ray's foot, hurting him. After dropping the box repeatedly, Man Ray asks Patrick what's in the box. Patrick answers "my wallets", and Man Ray starts beating Patrick up. SpongeBob tickles him, but Man Ray still continues to beat him up. Manray claims the tickle punishment is worth it.
Goodness Lesson # 3 - SpongeBob is about to say something when Patrick, angry, with bandages, a head injury and on a wheelchair, takes control of the lesson and says, "I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100. What is it?" Man Ray answers 62. Patrick says it's wrong and tickles Man Ray. SpongeBob and Patrick fight for the remote, and it breaks, causing the belt to tickle Man Ray harder than ever. Man Ray is doomed to laugh for eternity unless someone removes the belt. Man Ray says please while telling them to remove it, so they do. Man Ray steals the Aqua Glove and the Squid Ink Bomb and turns SpongeBob and Patrick into dust.
Realizing Man Ray tricked them, SpongeBob and Patrick change into Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy outfits, making them "ManSponge" and "Boy Patrick" again, respectively. They catch up with Man Ray and turn on the Orb of Confusion (An orb which if turned on, makes every living creature within a certain radius semi-conscious and confused. The radius can be seen because the water becomes distorted when the orb is turned on.) to confuse Man Ray, but they get confused instead. Man Ray tries to rob a bank, but he can still feel the belt's tickle even though he isn't wearing it. After multiple tries, he decides to open an account instead. Man Ray passes the place where SpongeBob and Patrick are. He turns the orb off, tells Spongebob he will be good now, and gives SpongeBob his evil head. However, Patrick is still confused...
- This is the first episode with Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy that does not revolve around them. They only appear in the first two minutes of the episode and then disappear throughout the rest.
- The dust form of SpongeBob's and Patrick's movement are like slugs-they have a definite shape whereas dust cannot have a true definite shape.
- This is the first appearance of Man Ray.
- Man Ray is good after the urge to do bad is gone in this episode, but he returns to being evil in "Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy V".
- The last caption in this episode disappears before SpongeBob could even finish it.
- Strangely, Man Ray was not affected by the Orb of Confusion (or perhaps the orb just makes the dumb dumber).
- When Man Ray is frozen in tartar sauce, it probably refers to Marvel Comic's Captain America, who was frozen in ice until he was thawed out years after WWII.
- Man Ray's name is a play on the name "manta ray." He is also a parody of the Black Manta character, who was the arch-villain of DC's Aquaman comic book.
Home video releases
- Nickelodeon SuperToons
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Laugh Your Pants Off
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Tide and Seek
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|