"New Student Starfish" is the first segment of the 53rd episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob is heading to school one morning, and Patrick eagerly asks him if he can go jellyfishing. SpongeBob says he has to go to school, and asks what Patrick usually does when he's gone. Patrick says that he "will wait for you to get back" and SpongeBob feels sorry for Patrick, SpongeBob tells Patrick that he can come to school with him.
They arrive at 6:20 AM, and class starts at 9:00 AM, which SpongeBob considers "Late for being early" He shows Patrick around the school, and explains their classroom's "Good Noodle board" system, where "good noodle stars" are placed on a good noodle board next to the chalkboard. SpongeBob, who has the most stars of anyone in the class (74), adds Patrick's name to the chart so he can start collecting stars. He also shows Roger, an unborn animal egg in a case with only a light-bulb for warmth.
When class starts, Mrs. Puff sees the new student and asks him his name, Patrick gets nervous and replies with "24", and the whole class laughs at. At their desks, SpongeBob and Patrick laugh among each other about the what comes after number "24, SpongeBob said "25", and Mrs. Puff warns them to pay attention. Later, Patrick draws an ugly picture of Mrs. Puff with the caption "BIG FAT MEANIE!", which she believes was made by SpongeBob. Mrs. Puff has a small plastic spatula and removes one of his stars from his good noodles. much to his horror, and tells him to move to the available desk in the back of the room. Soon after, Patrick tries to tell SpongeBob something, and SpongeBob, very angry at him, tries to ignore him. Patrick begins throwing spitballs at SpongeBob to get his attention, and says that he has "something important" to tell him. SpongeBob finally asks him what he has to say, and Patrick simply says "Hi." SpongeBob is furious, and screams out "HIIIIIIIIII?!" in frustration, causing the spitballs on him to fly all the way to Mrs. Puff, who says "Perhaps this would be a good time for recess."
During recess, SpongeBob confronts Patrick in the hallway, and they start fighting, which they are given detention. During detention, the two say how much they hate each other, and SpongeBob says "I'd hate you even if the light-bulb keeping Roger alive went out!" Suddenly, the light-bulb goes out, and Roger starts to freeze. SpongeBob and Patrick start to apologize, and then work together to save Roger. SpongeBob keeps the egg warm, while Patrick gets a new light-bulb. Patrick reaches the closet and finds a mountain of light-bulbs, but he thinks that the light-bulb at the top that is operating is the only one that works and starts climbing the mountain to reach it. SpongeBob is impatient and starts running towards the closet with Roger in his hands, and bumps into Patrick, causing the egg and light-bulb to fly into the air. Patrick catches the lightbulb, and SpongeBob catches Roger. Suddenly, Mrs. Puff appears, who had been watching the whole incident through her one way chalkboard. She decides to give them each 1 golden star. Before Patrick then leaves, upon realizing that this was boating school and not "normal class" he calls Mrs. Puff "Big Fat Meanie." After Patrick leaves, Roger suddenly hatches, revealing to be a live action chick who says, "Hey! What did I miss?" as the episode ends.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 3rd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- This episode shows that Gary has the ability of teleportation, as he was able to move to some different places when SpongeBob was still in the air in his morning routine. A similar thing is also happened in Suds, when Gary suddenly pops out of nowhere in the Krusty Krab, telling Mr. Krabs that SpongeBob has suds. It was also clearly seen in Gary Takes a Bath, when SpongeBob puts Gary above the tub, then Gary freezes in mid-air and appears next to SpongeBob.
- The scene where SpongeBob freaks out when Mrs. Puff removes one of his Good Noodle Stars parodies The Exorcist.
- When Mrs. Puff opens the drawers in her desk to put the paper that Patrick drew of her, many different papers making fun of Mrs. Puff can be seen inside that drawer.
- In the original storyboard featured on the DVD, after Patrick leaves in the end of the episode, SpongeBob says "Can I have his star?"
- First time Patrick goes to the Boating School. He would successfully obtain his license in "Driven to Tears".
- The chick being named "Roger" might be a nod to Rodger Bumpass, who provides the voice of Squidward.
- When Mrs. Puff tells the boys, "May Neptune have mercy on your souls", it's a reference to the phrase, "May God have mercy on your soul", which a judge says to a convict who's about to receive the death penalty.
- SpongeBob losing a star is similar to when he got a star taken off of his conduct report in "Restraining SpongeBob". In both episodes he did nothing to get them taken.
- The number of stars per student changes throughout the episode.
- When Patrick stood up to tell his name, the name Rich was added on the good noodle board.
- When Patrick arrives at the boating school, he says, "And no line." Captions say, "I have no line."
- When Patrick yells, "I'm learning!", captions say, "I'm waiting!"
- SpongeBob writes Patrick's name on the good noodle board in capital letters. Later on when SpongeBob and Patrick are saving Roger, Patrick's name is in lower case and when Mrs. Puff tells them that she'll give them a golden star each, it is in capitals again.
- The names on the good noodle board change throughout the episode.
- In most episodes, the boating school is just one room, but in this episode, it looks like a real school.
- When Patrick pictures Mrs. Puff's class like class photo day, the black sign in front of the kids in the front says "Mrs. Puff's Driving School" but Mrs. Puff's school sign says "Mrs. Puff's Boating School."
- SpongeBob says he has 74 stars, but he only has 25.
- This is generally considered to be Patrick's most antagonistic role yet.
- SpongeBob should have introduced Patrick to Mrs. Puff after Patrick said "24"
- When it isn't focused on the board it says Patrick But when it is it says PATRICK it also is all capitalized when the screen is zoomed in.