A reboot series of Rugrats was announced on July 16, 2018. According to The Hollywood Reporter, it was confirmed that Nickelodeon had ordered 26 episodes of a reboot series executive produced by Arlene Klasky, Gabor Csupo, and Paul Germain, and a live-action/CGI hybrid feature movie from Paramount Pictures (the latter was later cancelled). The series premiered on Paramount+ on May 27, 2021.
The Rugrats revival arrives as the kids-focused cable network finds itself in new territory after 30-year-plus Viacom veteran Cyma Zarghami exited her post as president of the Nickelodeon Group. Sarah Levy is running the brand in the interim, as a replacement has not yet been determined. Nickelodeon, once the promised land for youth programming, has lost its perch as fellow cable (Disney Channel) and streaming outlets (Netflix, Apple) have entered the kids' programming space, driving up the price and demand for content. To compete, Nickelodeon, like other high-end scripted destinations, is leaning on reboots and spinoffs to compete and cut through the cluttered landscape. Rugrats joins other recently revived projects at Nickelodeon including Hey Arnold!, Double Dare, Figure It Out, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Blue's Clues, Rocko's Modern Life, Avatar: The Last Airbender, All That, Dora the Explorer, Invader Zim, Are You Afraid of the Dark?, iCarly, and The Fairly OddParents.
On May 13, 2020, Vanity Fair confirmed that Nancy Cartwright would reprise her role as Chuckie Finster. Vanity Fair also revealed that the show would start airing in Fall 2020. On May 14, 2020, it was announced that the series is delayed until 2021. On February 24, 2021, news articles announced the return of some of the original cast; it was also announced that the reboot will premiere on Paramount+ in Spring 2021. Nearly a month later, on March 18, 2021, an all-new cast for the parents were revealed.
- This is the second Nick show to be revived or rebooted after a spin-off. The first one was Blue's Clues.
- Dil, Howard, Kira, Lulu, Boris, Minka, Alisa, Edwin, Buster, Fluffy, Fifi and Kimi will turn up later in the show.
- Rugrats Movie Delayed
- Vanity Fair: Nancy Cartwright (Bart Simpson) Reviews Impressions of Her Voices
- That Nickelodeon “Rugrats” Revival Delayed til 2021
- Deadline: 'Rugrats': Original Voice Cast Members To Reunite For Series Revival At Paramount+
- Variety: Nickelodeon Bets on ‘Rugrats’ Revival in Animation Ramp-Up
|"Gee, this is harder than I thought."|
This article doesn't contain enough information. If you know anything about Rugrats (2021 TV series),