"Séance Shméance" is the second segment of the 188th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode starts off with SpongeBob and Squidward watching a seance on television in the Krusty Krab. When the séance is finished, Squidward is unimpressed of the plot, while SpongeBob is scared of it. Soon, Old Man Jenkins enters the restaurant and orders an unusual sandwich called a "Rusty on Rye."
Squidward tells the customer to order something that is on the menu which causes Old Man Jenkins to get mad. SpongeBob tells Squidward that he'll handle it but soon realizes that he has no idea how to make a Rusty on Rye. SpongeBob asks Old Man Jenkins how to make it but the customer replies by telling him that it was on rye bread and that it was number nine on the menu. People in line for a Krabby Patty start to get impatient so Mr. Krabs asks Old Man Jenkins to leave. Squidward states that he is identified as an unsatisfied customer which upsets SpongeBob. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the Rusty on Rye was on the menu of an old restaurant called Rusty's Rib Eye, made by the owner Rusty Rickets who died 20 years ago.
So, later that night, SpongeBob calls Patrick over to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs tells them not to eat any furniture which upsets Patrick and causes him to ask SpongeBob why he called him there. SpongeBob replies by saying that they are going to perform a seance at the Krusty Krab. After SpongeBob reads the ingredients of a mustard container and summons the spirit of Rusty's Rib Eye, the ghost soon appears. Patrick runs to get Mr. Krabs after being scared by the "big ghost."
SpongeBob asks Rusty how to make a Rusty on Rye but both attempts to say and write down the recipe fail so, Rusty just shows SpongeBob how to make Old Man Jenkin's order. SpongeBob is surprised to see that the ingredients are driftwood, speckle, and shellac. He asks SpongeBob to try it and SpongeBob rejects it and says that it has an inaquaired taste.
Because of the delicious smell of the Rusty on Rye, several ghosts infiltrate the Krusty Krab and eat the sandwiches. After hanging around for a while, SpongeBob asks them to leave, but they began to cause chaos at the Krusty Krab! Patrick and Mr. Krabs return and see the horrifying cause of SpongeBob's séance. Patrick, still scared, runs around the Krusty Krab screaming. Mr. Krabs sees the orb that the ghosts came from and defeats the ghosts by pushing them back in the orb and pops it. Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob never to hold a seance without his permission, because "ghosts are like relatives. Once you let them in, they'll never leave."
The next day, SpongeBob serves Old Man Jenkins the driftwood sandwich. After he takes a bite, SpongeBob is now satisfied that Old Man Jenkins is satisfied. Then, they hear Patrick still running around the Krusty Krab, moaning ghost sounds.
- This episode reveals before the Rusty Krab, there was a shack called "Rusty's Rib Eye."
- This episode's premiere preceded the series premiere of The Thundermans.
- The mustard in the book is a reference to a flask in a Bible.
- Oddly, SpongeBob tried to hand Rusty a pencil and paper, the objects just go through Rusty's hand due to him being a ghost. However, Rusty was able to lift other objects such as a knife and the Rusty-on-Rye sandwich.
- Rusty's restaurant was a "ghost" so SpongeBob should have been able to walk through the door instead of opening it.
- The ghosts eat the sandwiches, but since they are ghosts like Rusty, the sandwiches should have gone through their hands.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 9th Season