Based on the 1986 book Salute Your Shorts: Life at Summer Camp by Steve Slavkin, the series is set at the summer camp Camp Anawanna. It focuses on teenage campers and their problems with both the camp and with each other.
The title of the show comes from a common prank campers play on each other: a group of kids steals a boy's boxer shorts and raises them up a flagpole. Hence, when people see the boy's boxers waving like a flag, other kids would salute them as part of the prank.
The show was filmed at Griffith Park in Los Angeles.
It was cancelled after two seasons because the cast didn't want to relocate to Orlando, Florida.
- Kirk Baily — Kevin "Ug" Lee
- Megan Berwick — Z.Z. Ziff
- Michael Ray Bower — Eddie "Donkeylips" C. Gelfen
- Christine Cavanaugh — Mona Tibbs
- Danny Cooksey — Robert "Bobby" Budnick
- Venus DeMilo — Telly Radford
- Tim Eyster — Sponge Harris
- Heidi Lucas — Dina Alexander
- Erik MacArthur — Michael "Moosh Moosh" Stein (1991)
- Blake Soper — Ronald "Ronnie" Foster Pinsky (1992)
- Bailey Hanks — Haleigh Kahn
- Steve Slavkin — Dr. Kahn
- → Main article: Salute Your Shorts episode list
The pilot episode, "Welcome to Bunk 13", was aired as a one-shot special in October 1990. After the show was picked up for a full season, all of the actors had to audition for their roles.
- Nickelodeon (original run, July 4, 1991-June 29, 1992; reruns, June 30, 1992-April 4, 1999, June 7, 2004)
- The N/TeenNick (2002-2003, 2011-October 8, 2015)