- "Maybe a story will cheer you up. It's called The Ugly Barnacle. Once there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died. The end."
- ―Patrick saying the most famous line of the episode
"Something Smells" is the first segment of the 22nd episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
SpongeBob is asleep in his bed then wakes up and realizes that it is Sunday, and therefore decides to have an ice cream sundae for breakfast. However, he sees he has no normal ingredients (ice cream, etc.), so he creates a "sundae" made from onions, ketchup, and peanuts from a peanut plant he had been growing in his window. The sundae gives SpongeBob a bad case of halitosis, which he does not notice. After breakfast, SpongeBob begins his Sunday to-do list, which consists of saying "Hi" to everyone in town.
Everyone in town is disgusted by the smell of SpongeBob's breath, and runs away from him. He is very confused by this, and asks Patrick if he notices anything wrong with him. Patrick, not having a nose, is unaffected by his foul breath, and mistakenly comes to the conclusion that SpongeBob is ugly, using a "Reflection Test". When SpongeBob's bad breath causes the mirror to break itself, SpongeBob is shocked into thinking he is ugly and isolates himself in his home.
Later, Patrick visits SpongeBob, who has now become a hermit. Patrick tries to cheer him up by telling him a story titled The Ugly Barnacle. When that doesn't help SpongeBob at all, Patrick helps him by having him go up on the roof and proclaim, "I'm ugly and I'm proud!" This works, and SpongeBob's confidence grows, so they go to the cinema. When they go in and sit down, all the fish still avoid SpongeBob. Angered that no one has the nerve to face SpongeBob's so-called ugliness, Patrick goes into a maniacal rage and forces the other viewers to look at SpongeBob. They all panic and run out of the theater screaming.
Patrick gets hungry, so they go to get a snack, but no one is at the counter, so SpongeBob gives Patrick some of his sundae. Patrick goes to the bathroom. When a guy runs away from Patrick in the bathroom, he thinks he has caught the "ugly" from SpongeBob. When SpongeBob comes in looking for Patrick, he finds Patrick wearing a paper bag, claiming he's become ugly too. SpongeBob smells Patrick's extremely foul breath, and comes to the realization that they are not ugly, and simply just have bad breath from the sundae. After they realize this, the two begin to run around shouting "WE STINK!", melting down the movie theater with their corrosive stench. In the last scene, SpongeBob and Patrick run into Squidward, who is looking at wigs in a window display, and they proudly hug him and tell him they stink, much to his confusion.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Nautical Nonsense
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Undersea Antics Volume 1
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Nautical Nonsense and Sponge Buddies
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 2nd Season
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: It's a SpongeBob Christmas!
- The "Ugly Barnacle" story in this episode has spawned extreme popularity; it has been subject to remixes and edits. The scene where Patrick takes the paper bag off his head and tells SpongeBob he has the 'ugly' has also become a meme on YouTube.
- The scene where Fred goes "DEUUEAUGH" has also become a popular hit on YouTube.
- When credited as animation director, Edgar Larrazabal's last name is misspelled as "Larrazaba".
- After SpongeBob finishes his sundae, he says "You know what they say Gary...I'm easy like Sunday morning", a reference to the song "Easy Like Sunday Morning".
- SpongeBob says "Hello, dolly!" in the marching band scene, a reference to the film of the same name.
- In the televised episode, SpongeBob walks up to a building and says "Hi, building!" which causes the building to flee from SpongeBob's breath. He walks up to Patrick and says "I just don't get it!", to which Patrick replies "I don't either." In the DVD releases, as well as the YTV broadcasts, the audio is glitched, resulting in the scene going like this:
- SpongeBob: [walks up to a building and waves] I just don't get it! [the building flees]
- Patrick: [offscreen] I don't either. [SpongeBob walks up to Patrick; the rest of the scene goes as normal, resulting in the same lines being repeated]
- According to the DVD commentary for this episode, Squidward had a deleted line at the end of the episode; after SpongeBob and Patrick hug him and run away, he would say "Ugly and smelly, two for one."
- While SpongeBob shows the Peanut onion sundae to Patrick the smell burns Patrick's eyebrows but in the next scene the eyebrows were back.
- It is confirmed in this episode that Patrick doesn't have a nose, but in "Wet Painters", Patrick has a nose (or a hole, as Patrick only has one nose opening). Also, in "Suds", Patrick puts a clothespin over where his nose would be.
- At the movies, SpongeBob and Patrick at first sit in the front row, but later, when Patrick lifts SpongeBob, they appear to be in the middle row, not the front.
- Patrick is shown washing his hands, but in "The Battle of Bikini Bottom", he claims to never have washed them (although he does not actually get to washing them in this episode).
- Patrick says he doesn't have a sister, despite it being revealed that he does have one in "Big Sister Sam". Though it is most likely that Patrick forgot about his sister, considering his low intelligence and that she was lost long ago.
- SpongeBob greets the mailfish even though the mail doesn't come on Sunday.
- When SpongeBob says hello to each member of the marching band, he greets the timbale man. Timbales are shallow, single-headed drums invented in Cuba.