"Spy Buddies" (called "SpyBob" on Nickelodeon's schedules) is the first segment of the 84th episode of SpongeBob SquarePants.
The episode begins with a shadow figure that looks like Plankton, who opened a safe that has the Krabby Patty formula. SpongeBob turned the light switch on, and revealed it was Mr. Krabs checking the secret recipe on the count of Plankton did not try to steal the recipe in a month. Squidward had just entered the office said, "Hello", and when Mr. Krabs asked one of his employees will have extra work, Squidward left the room saying "Good Bye", leaving SpongeBob to do the work as being a spy to follow Plankton to see what he's up to (in this scene, SpongeBob makes a parody of the gunbarrel sequence, from Patrick's straw). Then Patrick hollered that he also wanted to become a spy. Mr. Krabs gave them a Patty that will tell them that their assignment is to follow Plankton to see what his plans are. If they don't get gadgets and if he doesn't take it, they will be fired.
SpongeBob and Patrick go to Sandy's tree dome to ask her about spying, and Sandy shows them spy equipment. SpongeBob was excited to use the equipment, but Sandy refused to let them use any of them, as she felt they were just mess it up. They proceeded to take the equipment anyway.
They started following Plankton, then SpongeBob talked to Mr. Krabs about the activities he's been doing. Later that night, SpongeBob and Patrick are on the roof top of the Chum Bucket trying to get inside by using the laser pants to make a hole for them. Plankton thought that they came in late at night to eat when Mr. Krabs wasn't around. Patrick tells SpongeBob that he can't hold it in any longer when Plankton came back to give them their meal and Patrick let out a big one which destroyed the Chum Bucket.
Angry, Plankton sends a giant blimp to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs thought that night had came early, but Squidward points to Plankton's blimp. When Mr. Krabs tells everyone to get into their positions, Squidward runs into the men's bathroom. Plankton pushes a button that starts playing annoying music that makes the customers leave. Mr. Krabs says that if he wants his customers, he can have them. He sucked them into a giant cannon, and shot at the blimp using the customers and, unfortunately, Squidward. Unluckily, the attempt failed, as the customers always bounced off the blimp. SpongeBob tells Patrick that is all up to them to save the Krusty Krab, but Patrick jumps off the blimp and accidentally lands in the cannon, which fires him right at the blimp, causing it to pop. The restaurant blows up as well.
Plankton laughs and says that he always wins, but SpongeBob tells him that he always loses. Plankton say that he always wins and that it was Mr. Krabs in disguise. The other Mr. Krabs was actually a robot controlled by Plankton. Mr. Krabs and Plankton did a bet that if Mr. Krabs disguised himself as Plankton so he can steal the Krabby Patty formula better than him and if the Chum Bucket gets destroyed, Plankton would pay him a dollar. Patrick yells at them and rips his skin off showing that he is Squidward. SpongeBob asks that if he's Squidward, than who is the other guy? Just as SpongeBob tries to pull off the other guy's mask, he was trying to tell him that he wasn't wearing a disguise, and that he was the real Squidward. He takes his ripped face back, they then continue to take off disguises, and Sandy shows up and says that it's the wrong disguise, then SpongeBob appears. SpongeBob takes of his disguise and Patrick appears. Then both of them return to their real selves, then SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he is confused that there are two Patricks, and they both started laughing.
- When Mr. Krabs opened the safe for the recipe, it is night. But when Patrick screams "I WANNA BE A SPY TOO!!" it is daylight.
- Running Gag: SpongeBob and Patrick screaming about their spy identities.
- You can see SpongeBob and Patrick's spy boatmobile that is a parody of Batman's Batmobile in this episode.
- Music from Karate Island, Wigstruck, New Leaf, The Thing and Friend or Foe can be heard at the end.
- The two background music shots were heard in the credits Roll in Action League Now!
- If the viewer looks real closely, when Patrick blows up, when he speaks his feat are skeletal, but when pulls his pants up they're normal
- SpongeBob said that Plankton bought some baby clothes, but he walked out of the store with nothing.
- Throughout this episode, the Krusty Krab sign has black writing and is a bit darker.
- Guppies R Us is a parody of Babies "R" Us.
- When SpongeBob is seen walking inside the dot (when Patrick was looking through the straw), it is a parody of James Bond. SpongeBob walks into the dot onscreen and spins around with his spatula in hand. In James Bond, Bond walks into the dot (which is a gun-barrel pointed at him), spins around and shoots the screen.
- This episode is loosely based on the 1983 comedy film Trading Places.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Friend or Foe?
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 5, Volume 1
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The First 100 Episodes
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete Fifth Season
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Spy Buddies. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|