Sunny Day is a Canadian-British animated television series produced by Silvergate Media. The series revolves around Sunny (voiced by Lilla Crawford), a hairdresser who runs her own salon with the help of her talking dog Doodle (Rob Morrison), hair colourist Rox (Élan Luz Rivera), and receptionist Blair (Taylor Louderman). Sunny's best customers are Timmy (Kevin Duda), who is in charge of hosting events and shows in Sunny's hometown; Friendly Falls, and Cindy (Melissa van der Schyff), the unlucky town baker who has a constant bad hair day. The series is loosely based on the Random House picture book series The Fairytale Hairdresser by Abie Longstaff and illustrated by Lauren Beard. Each episode features an original song written by Peter Lurye.
40 episodes of Sunny Day are being produced by Silvergate in association with the Canadian animation company Pipeline Studios. On April 5, 2016, the 40-episode order was divided into two seasons of 20 episodes. The series premiered on Nickelodeon in the United States on August 21, 2017. It began airing in Canada on Treehouse TV in September 2, 2017 and will premiere on Nick Jr. in the United Kingdom on March 2, 2018.
Taking place in the seaside town of Friendly Falls, the series follows a professional hairstylist named Sunny who works at her own salon. Sunny uses her creativity and knowledge of hair care to solve problems. The other salon employees are Sunny's talking dog Doodle, Rox the hair colourist, and Blair the receptionist. Sunny's best customers are Timmy, who hosts every town event in Friendly Falls, and Cindy, the unlucky local baker with constantly messy hair.
While the setting of the series is different, the message and characterization mirror Abie Longstaff's original vision in The Fairytale Hairdresser books, which feature salon-owner Kittie Lacey, "the facilitator and the problem-solver … at the heart of the community" "who works hard, defeats evil-doers, [and] shows solidarity with the girls she helps."
- Sunny (voiced by Lilla Crawford) – A professional hairstylist who owns her own beauty parlour. She drives a van called the Glam Van and has an optimistic, determined attitude. A few sources confirm that her full name is Sunny Minerva Day, à la the show's title.
- Doodle (voiced by Rob Morrison) – Sunny's talking pet dog and sidekick. A tuft of fur on his head is styled to look like hair with highlights. He often serves as the comic relief of the series. In addition to talking, Doodle is capable of driving the Glam Van.
- Rox (voiced by Élan Luz Rivera) – The hair colorist at Sunny's salon. She has wavy multicoloured hair and is a skilled skateboarder. She is known for creating her own hair dyes in the salon's colour lab. She has a young sister named Martha.
- Blair (voiced by Taylor Louderman) – The receptionist at Sunny's salon. She always carries a tablet computer to keep track of every appointment. She is exceptionally organised and can get irritated when things are not done in the way she is used to.
- Timmy (voiced by Kevin Duda) – A friend of Sunny who is awkward but confident. He hosts events such as contests and talent shows in Friendly Falls. His hair is very similar to Sunny's, but shorter and without highlights. He is the tallest of the characters and is best friends with Scratch
- Cindy (voiced by Melissa van der Schyff) – The town baker, who wears glasses and usually has bad luck. Her hair is always messy and unmanageable. As a running gag, every food she bakes will somehow end up destroyed.
- Lacey (voiced by Fern Stiles) – A topiary tree artist and pageant queen who always cheats and lies in attempts to win Timmy's contests, often causing her to come into conflict with Sunny, Doodle, Rox, and Blair. Though antagonistic most of the time she can get along with Sunny and her friends on rare occasions and even visits the salon to have her hair and nails though she tends to be a demanding client for Sunny, Rox, and Blair. Though she often treats her dog KC as an underling she does indeed care about her even if she doesn't always show it. Additionally she also surprisingly gets along with her sister Cindy despite their contrasting personalities. Her name is a reference to Kittie Lacey, the main character of The Fairytale Hairdresser. At the end of the episode “Lacey’s Salon”, she and Sunny are said to become “frenemies”.
- KC (also voiced by Melissa van der Schyff) – Lacey's talking poodle who reluctantly assists her in her schemes. She often acts as Lacey's underling though is often annoyed by Lacey's tendency to order her around and tendency to ask KC's opinion on something only to dismiss her suggestion and do the opposite.
- Scratch (voiced by Josh Ruben) – The strong-willed neighborhood dogcatcher who is known for chasing dogs whenever they get loose or cause trouble. Unlike Lacey and KC, Scratch is not really mean and simply takes his job very seriously. He is best friends with Timmy and even has his own dog, Posey.
- Ashley Parker Angel
- Lance Bass
- Kether Donohue
- Sutton Foster
- Renée Elise Goldsberry
- Adam Jacobs
- Jamie-Lynn Sigler
- Shanice Williams
Season 1 (2017-18)
Season 2 (2018)
Silvergate renewed Sunny Day for a second season. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the second season will feature a new vehicle, Groom and Vroom, which was designed only on pets, in addition to the Glam Van. In addition, Lacey will also join Sunny, Doodle, Rox, and Blair to help out for the joint.
Style Files are a series of live-action tutorials provided by Sunny that involve the hairstyle featured at the end of every episode.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Jessica Pena. Butterbean’s Café, Sunny Day, Top Wing: Nickelodeon Announces New Kid Series. TV Series Finale. Retrieved on March 3, 2017.
- ↑ Animation Magazine. Silvergate producing Sunny Day for Nickelodeon. Animation Magazine. Retrieved on March 4, 2016.
- ↑ Silvergate Media. Production of Sunny Day ramps up with Season Two. Silvergate Media. Retrieved on April 5, 2016.
- ↑ Animation Magazine (April 5, 2016). MIPTV News Bytes. Animation Magazine. Retrieved on July 6, 2017.
- ↑ Abie Longstaff, "On creating The Fairytale Hairdresser series", Library Mice, 12 July 2014
- ↑ Imogen Russell Williams, "Picture books that draw the line against pink stereotypes of girls ", The Guardian, 30 July 2015
- ↑ Nickelodeon Press. SMILES AND STYLES SAVE THE DAY IN SUNNY DAY, NICKELODEON’S BRAND-NEW ANIMATED PRESCHOOL SERIES, PREMIERING MONDAY, AUG. 21, AT 10 A.M. (ET/PT). Nickelodeon Press. Retrieved on January 9, 2018.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Sunny Day Gets Second Season at Nickelodeon (Exclusive). The Hollywood Reporter (February 7, 2018). Retrieved on February 10, 2018.
|This page uses content from the English Wikipedia. The article or pieces of the original article was at Sunny Day. The list of authors can be seen in the . As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|