SpongeBob begins singing while cooking the patties. An annoyed Squidward tells him about real music and plays his clarinet, causing the customers to run out of the Krusty Krab. After being told to stop by Mr. Krabs, Squidward goes outside and throws a tantrum, complaining that no one appreciates music. Plankton, watching from the Chum Bucket, believes that Squidward may be the key to the formula.
Later, Plankton tries talking to Squidward, but he fails to. Then, he makes several attempts to trick Squidward, among these were pretending to be a girl scout and pretending to be one of Squidward's species, all resulting in Plankton getting the door literally slammed in his face. SpongeBob tells Plankton that he might gain Squidward's friendship if he compliments him on his music. Plankton later meets with Squidward and persuades him to play his clarinet. At first, Plankton is tormented by the awful clarinet music, but then wears earplugs to block the noise and pretends to like the music. Squidward marches across Bikini Bottom playing his clarinet, and Plankton follows along, while everyone else is tormented by the noise. Plankton also sings a song about Squidward's clarinet music as Squidward plays bad notes on his clarinet.
This friendship, however, wouldn't last as Plankton tells Squidward about the secret formula. Squidward tells Plankton that, despite 20 years of working, he has never saw the making of a Krabby Patty. Squidward tells Plankton that his music is getting better and plays his clarinet, making windows and mirrors across Bikini Bottom shatter. Squidward then says that he is going to quit his job and become a full-time musician. Plankton gets so angry, that his earplugs come off, and he is once again tortured by the noise. Plankton steals the clarinet, causing Squidward and SpongeBob to chase after him. Plankton is shortly confronted by the police about a "bad music" crime, and is arrested from being the only one to hold the clarinet. As he is driven away, the police car runs over Squidward's clarinet. After SpongeBob retrieves the broken clarinet, Squidward once again "hates people".
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 8th Season
- Some cable providers list the episode as "Sweet and Sour Squidward".
- The helicopter Sandy was in is similar to the helicopter in "SpongeBob vs. The Big One" and "The Krabby Patty That Ate Bikini Bottom".
- It is shown that Plankton's ears are human ears, although previous episodes never showed this.
- When the clarinet was run over, it resembles a bass clarinet.
- Squidward says he's never seen a Krabby Patty being made before, but in "Employee of the Month", he is seen making a gigantic mountain of Krabby Patties, along with SpongeBob. Additionally, Squidward has taken over for SpongeBob on the grill several times before.
- When Plankton was being tortured by Squidward's music, he shouted, "Sweet mother of Aphrodite!" He was mentioning Aphrodite, the goddess of love and beauty, according to Greek mythology.
- Plankton mentioned Squidward worked at the Krusty Krab for twenty years.
- This is the third episode to be written by only pre-movie writers in the post-movie era.
- Running Gags: Squidward pouring water and slamming the door on Plankton.
- The show that Karen is watching is similar to that of Gary in "Gary in Love".
- When Plankton pretends to be a Girl Scout, he asks Squidward if he would like to by some Gill Scout Cookies. The words "Gill Scout" is a pun on Girl Scout.
- Plankton's line "Got Rail?" is a parody of the slogan "Got Milk?".
- "Clarinet Wizard", the song Squidward and Plankton were singing is a parody of "Pinball Wizard" by The Who.
- Plankton said he was wearing "Professional Sound-Proof Ear Drums" but then he was able to talk with Squidward while wearing it.
- When Squidward and Plankton first got to Goo Lagoon, Plankton was much larger than usual, but then back to normal height in the scene afterwards.