This episode starts with the narrator talking about a tragedy, and showing an over-water hurricane, and then showing footage of the 1940 collapse of Tacoma Narrows Bridge (Galloping Gertie), with a guy running from the bridge before its collapse. After that, it goes to a rainy day at SpongeBob's pineapple. He is inside with the calender on January 10, and then flips it back to January 7. SpongeBob is then doing chores, including laundry, with his pants and Gary's shell. Then Patrick calls SpongeBob, showing that he can say "Loolooloolooloo" for a very long time. Meanwhile, Gary gets his shell out of the laundry. By the time SpongeBob gets to the laundry machine, his pants had shrunk. He goes to the store to buy new ones, but Patty Rechid says there won't be any SquarePants for months. He then looks through the pants, and finds the pants he usually wears, except they're round, not square. He bumps into Patrick, but Patrick doesn't recognize SpongeBob. He bumps into Sandy, who pretends that she doesn't know SpongeBob. Then, SpongeBob passes Squidward's house, and Squidward pretends not to recognize SpongeBob. Being gullible, SpongeBob really thinks that Sandy and Squidward don't know SpongeBob, so he starts himself over, naming himself SpongeBob RoundPants. SpongeBob gets his job at the Krusty Krab again, and Squidward gives SpongeBob his bad routine of being a Krusty Krab employee. Mr. Krabs realizes what's going on, and he doesn't joke around when he sees SpongeBob. SpongeBob then tells Mr. Krabs that he can't be SpongeBob SquarePants again, as he has round pants. Then, SpongeBob takes off his pants, but Sandy calls SpongeBob "SpongeBob UnderPants", and the episode ends with SpongeBob's scream with embarrassment.
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: To SquarePants or Not to SquarePants
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 6, Volume 2
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 6th Season
- Squidward is seen reading the House Fancy magazine.
- Mr. Krabs also knew that SpongeBob wasn't a stranger.
- Gary has buttocks under his shell in this episode and in Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle, but in Shell Shocked he only has organs and a slug body.
- When SpongeBob takes out the first pair of pants when he was in the store but a little bit at the when Mr. Krabs walks out is office look at the guy in front of the order line or something look at the pants its the same as the one SpongeBob took out in the store.
- It is unknown why Patrick thought SpongeBob was a stranger throughout the episode, possibly due to his low level of intelligence that is considered why. Sandy also didn't know who SpongeBob was meaning she was possibly teasing him as she kept calling him a different last name (i.e. SpongeBob UnderPants). Squidward doesn't like SpongeBob so that is why he lied.
- When SpongeBob was saying what goes on a squirrel's head is similar to Squirrel Jokes.
- When SpongeBob talked about what goes on inside a squirrel's head, an image of a chattering squirrel is shown and SpongeBob cringes afterwards. This scene has become a fad on Youtube, with random scenes replacing the squirrel image.
- The jeans that SpongeBob took out from the sale had holes in them, indicating it was already used.
- In Southeast Asia, this title-card only says: "To SquarePants or Not to" because it is too long.
- In this episode, the French Narrator says "SpongeBob SquarePants CHANGED his pants!" like it was a surprise, but SpongeBob has changed his pants a lot of times when he woke up. He is even shown in this episode pulling multiple pairs of pants out of his washer.
- SpongeBob found some round pants and the design are also the same from his square pants. Later his personality changed and now he's acting like Squidward!
- While SpongeBob acts like Squidward, he sleeps in the toilets with Squidward, roughly serve food to customers, throw and bash garbage bags, won't take the customers' orders and cooking Krabby Patties to the charcoal and tiny level. Eventually, the customers became furious.
- The picture shown by SpongeBob when he forgot where the last picture took place actually took place in the episode Choir Boys when Squidward was singing in the shower at the very beginning of the episode. However, we didn't see SpongeBob in front of the shower in Choir Boys for some odd reason.
- The title is a parody of the famous Shakespeare quote "To Be or Not to Be?".
- This episode was inspired by the Twilight Zone episodes.
- When SpongeBob said, "I've gotta start all over again!", he just filled out an application and got the job. In "Help Wanted". However, he didn't ask for an application. He had to complete a challenge first.
- At the start of the episode, SpongeBob was wearing his normal pants even though the cashier of the clothes store said he was not getting a shipment for months. It is a possible conclusion that the French Narrator made a miscalculation when he said it was a few days ago. Reply: SpongeBob could have made his pants grow with the Kelp Grow from "Giant Squidward".
- The women at the mall said it will take months to get new square pants, however 3 days later (at the beginning of the episode's narration), he had square pants again.
- SpongeBob can't be allowed at the mall because he's wearing his underwear.
|This page uses content from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia. As with Nickipedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License 3.0 (Unported) (CC-BY-SA).|