After SpongeBob watches a TV ad at the Krusty Krab about Snail Bites, a new snail treat, he goes to the store to buy some for his pet snail, Gary. At his pineapple house, SpongeBob gives Gary a Snail Bite. Gary likes the treat, so each time he does a trick, SpongeBob gives him a Snail Bite. Lots and lots of Snail Bites later, SpongeBob runs out of treats and Gary wants more.
Gary meows all night for some more snail treats. SpongeBob gets slightly annoyed, so he tries to ignore Gary's meowing. That doesn't work, so SpongeBob takes Gary to the pet store in the middle of the night to see if there are any more Snail Bites. When they find out the store is closed, SpongeBob gets very tired, so he sleeps on the sidewalk, with Gary continues to meow. 80 "meows" later, SpongeBob wakes up. When he sees the cashier unlocking the pet store, SpongeBob then asks if there is a box of Snail Bites. The cashier tells him that they sold out almost immediately, which leaves Gary meowing very loudly. SpongeBob tries to leave for work, but Gary won't let him leave. So he tricks Gary into slithering towards the kitchen and runs for it. When SpongeBob goes to work, he is making patties. Gary enters the Krusty Krab, tracking slime all over the customers. SpongeBob is surprised (and a little angry) and yells at him. Gary meows at him, telling him the he wants more Snail Bites. A customer makes a suggestion to SpongeBob, that if he wants Snail Bites, he should go to factory where they make them. SpongeBob thinks that's a great idea, so he and Gary go to the factory.
A worker tells SpongeBob and Gary that they're closed, the last box of Snail-Bites shipped out days ago, they ran out of ingredients to make them, and the owner quit the business completely. Gary then tells SpongeBob (in snail talk) that they should look all around the world, to see if they have any more Snail Bites. After looking around, SpongeBob gives up, leaving Gary meowing. Patrick asks why Gary keeps on meowing. SpongeBob explains that Gary wants more treats and they're aren't any more. Patrick tells SpongeBob that he should tell Gary "no" in a firm voice. SpongeBob doesn't want to "say no to his widdle Gare-bear". He tries to say no to Gary, but Gary distracts him with photos. SpongeBob tries again to say no to Gary, succeeding. Gary then nods and goes to bed, leaving SpongeBob relieved that he doesn't have to hear meows for the rest of the day. Meanwhile, Patrick eats his last box of Snail Bites. Once he runs out he starts meowing like Gary.`
Home video releases
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Complete 8th Season
- Running Gag: Gary meowing, and SpongeBob saying "Well, I just can't say no to my little Gare Bear."
- It is revealed that Gary's full name is "Gary Wilson Jr.", even though in a few episodes it is said his full name is "Gary the Snail." While Patrick's last name is Star, Gary's last name should also be Star due to the fact that Gary's father and Patrick's father share a common father. The name of Gary's father was Sluggo, not Gary Wilson. However, he may be named after his grandfather.
- When SpongeBob goes to the pet shop on the deserted island, Twitch from "SpongeBob SquarePants vs. The Big One" can be seen.
- The statue Gary created to get another treat was an allusion to Perseus defeating the giant sea monster.
- When SpongeBob goes to the Viking town, some Vikings from Dear Vikings can be seen.
- In Russia, the pet store is spelled ПЭТ СТОРЭ, which in the Cyrillic alphabet translates to PET STORE.
- At first, it may seem like Gary is going through withdrawal symptoms (as though Snail Bites were addictive), but it's revealed that he was just responding to not being told "no".
- Since Gary can at times be smarter than SpongeBob, it is odd that he could not figure out that meowing would accomplish nothing since all the Snail Bites were gone.
- In this episode, Gary was seen as a baby for the first time.
- Though it seems SpongeBob has a hard time saying "no", he's been firm with Gary before in "Gary Takes a Bath" (where he was determined to get Gary to take a bath and didn't put up with his sass) and "A Pal for Gary" (where he mistakenly scolds Gary for being unfriendly to Puffy Fluffy, oblivious to Puffy Fluffy trying to kill Gary). Also, in "Pizza Delivery", SpongeBob firmly said "no" to Squidward on several occasions, and in "Welcome to the Chum Bucket", he said "no" to Plankton for making a Krabby Patty.
- The company worker puts an S between the C and the L when he is spelling "closed", although there's no S between the C and the L. He also put a Z between the S and E.
- This is the third time Patrick eats snail food. The first was in Have You Seen This Snail? and the second was in Pet Sitter Pat.
- Coincidentally, both of these episodes also feature Patrick and Gary as the main characters.
- This is another time where the episode's name is metioned within the episode itself. In this case, Gary wrote "TREATS" on the wall in snail slime.
- At the beginning of the Snail Bites commercial, there was an allusion to the Pac-Man arcade game.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Gary travel on an airplane to the pet stores all around the world for Gary's Snail Bites is an allusion of the Indiana Jones movies.
- One of the tricks Gary does is a reference to the famous magician, Houdini, since Gary unlocks himself from a bunch of chains all done in a glass box full of water.
- The man in the trail with the deep voice is a possible reference to the TOBUSCUS! intro.
- When SpongeBob puts down Gary, one of the dots on Gary's shell disappears.
- When SpongeBob and Gary are in the Krusty Krab, for a brief second, the spiral on Gary's shell becomes purple and the dots are red.