Winx Club is an animated television series created by Iginio Straffi. It is co-produced by Nickelodeon and Rainbow SpA, which are both part of Nickelodeon's parent company Viacom. The show focuses on a fairy warrior named Bloom who adapts to college life in a magical realm.
The Winx franchise was rebooted as an international co-production in 2010, when Viacom entered a co-ownership agreement over Rainbow SpA with Straffi. Since then, Viacom and Rainbow have developed additional seasons of the show. Seasons five through seven were written and produced at Nickelodeon Animation Studio. Winx was inducted into Nickelodeon's franchise of Nicktoons, and a wide roster of Nickelodeon veterans (including Janice Burgess and Jeff Borkin) were brought on as writers and directors.
In 2014, Rainbow and Viacom's Paramount Pictures suffered a major financial loss due to the box office failure of their film Gladiators of Rome. This stalled production of the seventh season of Winx, causing Rainbow and Viacom to make major budget cuts: removing the show's CGI sequences and laying off the Hollywood voice cast. This sparked rumors that Nickelodeon would not continue the show. However, Straffi quashed these rumors with a news release on April 7, 2014. He confirmed that the Nickelodeon co-production was still going strong, saying, "It will be a privilege to partner once more with Nickelodeon on this and we are all looking forward to bringing the latest adventures of the Winx Club fairies to Nick channels worldwide."
Cast and crew
Many Nickelodeon actors lent their voices to characters for the show. Keke Palmer (True Jackson on True Jackson, VP) voiced Aisha. Matt Shively (True Jackson, VP and The Troop) voiced Prince Sky. Elizabeth Gillies (Jade West on Victorious) voiced Daphne and sung the song "We Are Believix". Daniella Monet (Paradise Run, Victorious) voiced Mitzi. Ariana Grande (Cat Valentine on Victorious) voiced Diaspro.
For the crew, Viacom assembled a large crew of both Nick and Nick Jr. alumni to write, produce, and creatively direct the show. Janice Burgess (creator of The Backyardigans) was a story editor, writer, and creative consultant. Peter Zizzo (The Fresh Beat Band) produced much of the music for the show from season 5 onward. The writing staff included many Nick Jr. crew members, including:
- Jeff Borkin (The Backyardigans, Blaze and the Monster Machines, Blue's Clues)
- Carin Greenberg (The Backyardigans, Bubble Guppies, Dora the Explorer)
- Sarah Jenkins (Nella the Princess Knight, Shimmer and Shine)
- Sascha Paladino (Oobi, Blue's Clues, Wonder Pets!)
- Adam Peltzman (The Backyardigans, Blue's Clues, Team Umizoomi)
- → Main article: List of Winx Club characters
- Bloom, Fairy of the Dragon Flame. She was born as a princess on the planet Domino, but was sent to live on Earth after her Domino's destruction. When she was a teenager, she discovered her magical powers and enrolled at Alfea College for Fairies. She is voiced by Molly Quinn.
- Stella, Fairy of the Shining Sun. She is the princess of Solaria and the one who found Bloom on Earth and invited her to Alfea. She is voiced by Amy Gross.
- Flora, Fairy of Nature. She can feel all the emotions of the plants around her. She is voiced by Alejandra Reynoso.
- Musa, Fairy of Music. She can sing and play many instruments, and she dreams of becoming a professional singer. She is voiced by Romi Dames.
- Tecna, Fairy of Technology. She is the brains of the group, and she sometimes has trouble expressing herself. She is voiced by Morgan Decker.
- Aisha, Fairy of Waves. She is the princess of Andros. She can generate a pink fluid called Morphix that can be formed into any shape. She is voiced by Keke Palmer.
- Roxy, Fairy of Animals. She knows all kinds of facts about animals and is a little shy. She is voiced by Liliana Mumy.
- → Main article: Winx Club episode list
- Nickelodeon (June 27, 2011-February 16, 2014; premieres moved to Nick Jr. Channel afterward)
- Nickelodeon UK (September 2011-present)
- Many international Nickelodeon feeds
- NickToons (September 25, 2011)
- TeenNick (2012-2014)
- Nick Jr. Channel (August 3, 2015-August 23, 2016)
Home video releases
- → Main article: Winx Club videography
Nickelodeon has made many different forms of Winx Club merchandise, including figures, dolls, books, CDs, and DVDs. At San Diego Comic-Con in 2012, Nick unveiled a line of Winx collectibles, including some exclusive to the convention.
Three feature-length movies based on Winx Club have been produced.
- The first film, The Secret of the Lost Kingdom, premiered on Nickelodeon on March 11, 2012.
- The second, Magical Adventure, premiered on Nickelodeon on May 20, 2013.
- The third, The Mystery of the Abyss, made its television premiere on Nickelodeon Germany on August 8, 2015.
Nickelodeon has also released several Winx Club video games, starting with Magical Fairy Party for the Nintendo DS in 2012. Additionally, Bloom is featured in many Nicktoons crossover games for Nick.com (examples pictured below).
- From fall 2011 to 2013, Nickelodeon Consumer Products spent a total of $100 million USD on Winx Club advertising and marketing support.
- From 2011 to 2014, Winx Club was one of Nick.com's most popular attractions, with its show page receiving over a million monthly visitors and over 2.5 million gaming sessions.
- In May 2013, Nickelodeon aired a non-canon short between shows, joking that Wanda would be the next fairy to join the Winx Club.
- The series originally aired on Rai 2 in Italy, but later moved to Rai Gulp and Rai Yoyo.
- Winx Club Premieres June 27 on Nickelodeon. TheFutonCritic (June 9, 2011).
- Nick and Rainbow S.p.A. to Co-Develop and Co-Produce Seasons Five and Six of Winx Club. PRNewswire (September 2, 2010).
- Nickelodeon Packaging Guide. Viacom (2014).
- Rainbow & Nickelodeon Present Winx Club Season Seven. WorldScreen (April 7, 2014).
- Nickelodeon commercial: The Secret Of The Lost Kingdom (February 24, 2012).
- Winx Magic Adventure Movie: Monday. Nick.com (May 16, 2013).
- Winx Club - Das Geheimnis des Ozeans (June 15, 2015).
- Nickelodeon Consumer Products 2011-2013 program. Viacom International (2011).
- Nickelodeon Sizzle Reel. IMDb (2013).
- Nickelodeon on Twitter (May 5, 2013).
- Show page on Nick.com
- Winx Club Wiki
- Official site
- Nickstory Archives: Winx Club
- NickToonstory Archives: Winx Club
- TeenNickstory Archives: Winx Club
- Nickstory Jr. Archives: Winx Club
|Major Characters||The Winx||Bloom • Stella • Flora • Musa • Tecna • Aisha • Roxy|
|Enemies||Trix • Darkar • Valtor • Mandragora • Wizards of the Black Circle • Ancestral Witches • Tritannus • Politea • Selina|
|Specialists||Sky • Brandon • Helia • Riven • Timmy • Nabu • Roy • Nex|
|Recurring Characters||Supporting characters||Mirta • Daphne • Diaspro • Mitzi • Avalon • Thoren|
|Media||Episodes • Video releases • Magical Fairy Party game • "Winx, You're Magic Now" • "We Are Believix"|
|Cast||Molly Quinn • Amy Gross • Keke Palmer • Liliana Mumy • Matt Shively • Elizabeth Gillies • Daniella Monet • Ariana Grande • Dee Bradley Baker|